Luminous
A Catholic Woman and Her Thoughts on Life, the Universe, and Everything
Friday, May 09, 2008
The Divine Mercy Message and Healing
Last week I attended a two-day conference in Worcester at Holy Cross College. I'd like to share my notes with you, each in separate postings.

============================================
4th Annual Heathcare Professionals for Divine Mercy Conference
Medicine, Bioethics and Spirituality

April 29th & 30th 2008 – Holy Cross College, Worcester, MA
============================================


Fr. Seraphim Michaelenko, MIC, PhB, STL, SEOL, Marian, Vice Postulator of North America for St. Faustina – The Divine Mercy Message and Healing


Faustina always said she had a distinct sense of both awe and joy when she had her visions.

Saint Faustina wrote:

"Today during meditation, God gave me inner light and understanding as to what sanctity is and of what it consists ... Neither graces, nor revelations, nor raptures, nor gifts granted to a soul make it perfect, but rather the intimate union of the soul with God ... My sanctity and perfection consists in the close union of my will with the will of God" (Diary, 1107).

And on another occasion, she wrote:

"My Jesus, penetrate me through and through so that I might be able to reflect You in my whole life. Divinize me so that my deeds may have supernatural value. Grant that I may have love, compassion and mercy for every soul without exception. O my Jesus, each of Your saints reflects one of Your virtues; I desire to reflect Your compassionate heart, full of mercy; I want to glorify it. Let Your mercy, O Jesus, be impressed upon my heart and soul like a seal, and this will be my badge in this and the future life. Glorifying Your mercy is the exclusive task of my life" (Diary, 1242).

In St. Faustina's Diary, Jesus said,
"When a soul approaches Me with trust, I fill it with such an abundance of graces that it cannot contain them within itself, but radiates them to other souls" (1074).

The mission the Lord gave her was not only to remind the world of the great mercy of God as revealed in Sacred Scripture, but also to teach us new forms of devotion to The Divine Mercy and to initiate a movement of apostles of The Divine Mercy who show a childlike trust in God and love of neighbor.

Reality Check - Jesus, who is God, is also Reality itself. Here is a Reality check:

  1. We will all die soon enough.
  2. We will be in either Heaven or hell, forever. For ever. (For ever and ever and ever...)
  3. Please take some time to think about "forever" if you have not already done so. Think about being somewhere for 1500 years, 40 billion years, 40 billion billion billion years... Please think seriously about this reality.
  4. This mortal life is absolutely nothing compared with forever. So then, how much of ourselves should we devote to eternity?
  5. All of it. Devote your entire being to getting yourself and others into Heaven.
  6. Now.... DON'T WORRY!

You can heal souls. Give out Divine Mercy prayer cards. Wear the Divine Mercy pin. Patient’s will see it, and ask questions. You will become open to discussion – this is a life saving – ETERNAL LIFE SAVING – teaching. Teach them the promises of Our Lord to heal and restore their souls. Just like the image Our Lord asked Faustina to have painted, of the blood and water - pouring from His heart - blood standing for the Eucharist, "water" standing for the water of Baptism - just as this is a healing, sacramental image, this is a healing sacramental devotion, that points us towards Christ. It is also a scriptureal devotion. Just as the blood of the Lamb covered the doorways of the Israelites in Egypt, protecting them from the Angel of Wrath, Jesus' blood pours out over us, and He stands in the doorway, and His ocean of Mercy protects us, even at the moment of our death, when the Divine Justice of God should fall down on us.

Jesus said to St. Faustina: "I desire trust from My creatures. Encourage souls to place great trust in My fathomless mercy. Let the weak, sinful soul have no fear to approach Me, for even if it had more sins than there are grains of sand in the world, all would be drowned in the unmeasurable depths of My mercy. (Diary, 1059)"

http://www.stjames-church.com/notebookpreface.html
(Complete text of St. Faustina’s Diary available online)