Luminous
A Catholic Woman and Her Thoughts on Life, the Universe, and Everything
Friday, January 27, 2006
"We have come to believe in God's love: in these words the Christian can express the fundamental decision of his life. Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction. "

These are the beautiful words of Pope Benedict XVI, as he introduces us to his first Encyclical letter, Deus Caritas Est, "God is Love". Here in these few words he has crystallized a feeling I have been unable to express for years. Friends who are not believers have asked "why" - why do I believe, why do I hold onto my faith, even when my hands shake and my eyes are red with weeping? Why, and how, can you believe in such a collection of odd stories and antiquated myths? And I have found it so impossible to argue ideas, or facts, history, or even ethics with them - and it's so simple - an encounter with a Person - whom, once met, cannot be denied ever again. Love is true, and real. God is Love. Jesus is Love. The Holy Spirit is Love. How simple. God, let me be more simple. Let them nod and grin and call me a simpleton. I yearn to be your fool!
1 Comments:
Blogger Patti said...
Only an encounter with Jesus can develop a real faith. If you look at it rationally-our faith does not make sense. Yet that is what scriptures says. I don't know the exact verse-but it is not an intellectual faith. It is a faith based on a relationship. Don't get me wrong. Once you have the encounter, you do use your intellect, but it is guided by your faith. That is one thing I love about being Catholic. We have a body of theologians looking at the critical questions long before other Christians even ask them.